**WHO WE ARE **
Kinship is here to help everyone pet parent like a pro. We’re a data-driven collective, building the future of pet care with interconnected solutions that reimagine every experience across the pet parent journey. We combine insights, products, and services to help people be the best pet parents they can be, and ultimately create a better world for pets. That includes our world-leading WISDOM PANEL™ genetic health screening and DNA testing for dogs, the award-winning WHISTLE™ GPS dog tracker and health monitor, Pet Insight Project, our ground-breaking science team that uses AI to turn billions of data points into actionable insights, and our partnerships like the LEAP VENTURE STUDIO accelerator that supports innovators and start-ups, allowing Kinship to bring new solutions to pet parents.
Kinship is a business division of Mars Petcare, the global leader in pet health, nutrition, and services, and dedicated to one purpose: A Better World for Pets. Learn more at www.kinship.co.
**OUR TEAM **
Kinship is looking for an experienced Payroll Manager with high potential for growth. You will be joining our dynamic Finance team spread across San Francisco, Portland, and NYC. You will partner with associates across Kinship’s global organization, working closely with our Talent team. You will be responsible for building a robust payroll function and improving the controls and processes of onboarding, offboarding, bi-weekly and off-cycle payrolls and pay changes. You will need to be hands-on, self-starting and a detailed-oriented individual. Being in the key payroll position, you will be responsible for ensuring compliance and accuracy in payroll and payroll tax.
HOW YOU’LL HELP EVERYONE PET PARENT LIKE A PRO
- Lead full-cycle payroll process with accuracy and compliance
- Take full ownership of time & attendance, payroll controls and analysis
- Manage any third party payroll providers and be the expert of the system
- Implement quality management to ensure accuracy of all data from the core HRIS
- Own payroll system upgrades, new implementations and integrations
- Help design solid business processes and internal controls around payroll
- Partner with accounting team by supporting generation of payroll journal entries
- Support the accounting team in all payroll related reconciliations of payroll & benefit accounts
- Develop and provide periodic and ad-hoc reporting for accounting & finance
**THE PRO WE’RE LOOKING FOR **
As Kinship people, we have three pillars that set out how we aim to be--in our everyday work, and in how we approach each other. We call these our Cultural Pillars. In all of the roles that we hire for, we look for people who are Optimistic, Purposefully Inquisitive, and Open to All.
And for this role, you’ll need these skills to knock it out of the dog park:
- You Have Courage: a willingness to bring forth a new idea, engaging others across Kinship to support you, and taking risks and action will full accountability
- You Learn at Pace: a consistent and fast work ethic to meet growth goals, and the ability to evolve and pivot quickly from what you’ve learned
- You Value Difference: a genuine belief in inclusion and diversity is in your DNA, and it shows up in your work, and how you work.
** TECHNICAL SKILLS:**
- BA/BS degree in a relevant field
- A minimum of 5 years experience processing medium to high volume, end to end US payroll (multi-state)
- Experience in multiple Payroll platforms, tools and systems
- Experience in payroll system implementation
- Broad Subject Matter Expertise of US specific payroll and tax compliance
- Excellent organization skills with attention to detail and completeness
- Demonstrated proficiency in Excel
- Proven project management skills and knowledge of methods
- Business process improvement skills and a mind for automation
- Hands-on, strong work ethic and can-do attitude. Ability to adapt and change when needed
- Strong communication skills and ability to communicate key information and status to stakeholders in a clear and efficient manner
- Self-starter that anticipates problems identifies opportunities and provides creative solutions to proactively control outcomes
- Ability to work in a fast paced and evolving environment
JOIN OUR PROS!
- Unique opportunities for a customizable career within pet care
- A super collaborative, flat work environment with direct access to our senior leadership team
- Work from the hottest cities across the world
- Dog-friendly workplaces
- Medical, dental, vision, 401k match, and pet benefits for you and your family
- Unlimited paid time off
- Flexible work opportunities
- Parental leave for the birth or adoption of your new human child (and fur baby)
- Discounts on pet products, services, nutrition and veterinary wellness plans
- Welcome kits with pet merch & Kinship swag
- An extensive onboarding program with a chance to meet all of our leaders across Kinship