Who are we?
Ribbon is a first of its kind real estate technology company transforming the real estate transaction by delivering certainty, transparency and joy to the home buying process. Consumers and realtors deserve a better experience, and we have designed an open platform that welcomes everyone in the ecosystem to participate.
As members of the Ribbon team, we live out our mission every day through our core values:
**Set New Standards. ** Our mission requires a new way forward. We start from first-principles to be different, creative and bold. Big or small, we create new norms.
Build Together. We are one team, one mission, creating vibrant communities of belonging. We unite in our passion and collaborate with optimism, integrity and trust. _ _
**Learn, Teach, Grow. ** In service of delivering a world class experience, we actively learn from our community, educate others, and celebrate the victories and struggles that come along the way.
Ribbon is looking for a Controller to join our growing team in New York. This role will lead the accounting function and partner cross-functionally to ensure that the organization consistently performs its core accounting, audit, tax, and reporting duties effectively and efficiently. The successful candidate will develop, grow and mentor a team of accounting professionals, while ensuring that the financial infrastructure is established to support and position the company for continued hyper-growth. This is a high-impact role that will offer substantial senior leadership exposure and the opportunity to drive long-term shareholder value at a hyper-growth startup.
How you'll make homeownership achievable:
- Set the Accounting function’s strategy and vision to support Ribbon’s overall company objectives
- Direct end-to-end accounting operations, including billing, accounts receivable, accounts payable, general ledger management, cost accounting, revenue recognition, payroll, treasury and banking, financial and management reporting, policy and procedures, audit, and tax
- Lead and build a world-class team of accounting professionals focused on accuracy, efficiency, scale, and cross-functional partnerships
- Establish and oversee the monthly close process to issue timely and accurate financial statements in accordance with US GAAP
- Develop, maintain and enforce accounting controls, policies, and procedures
- Identify opportunities and implement best practices for continuous improvement, with an emphasis on leveraging technology solutions to automate manual processes
- Partner cross-functionally to provide oversight on strategic projects and initiatives impacting Accounting
- Act as the primary interface with the Company’s external auditors and tax advisors to coordinate the execution of annual audits and prepare and file federal, state, and local taxes
What we're looking for:
- 10+ years of experience in a combination of public accounting and industry roles
- BA/BS in Accounting; advanced degree
- Experience in a high-growth start-up environment
- Strong technical accounting knowledge of GAAP, as well as demonstrated experience establishing internal controls and processes
- Track record of building and managing lean teams that drive an outsized impact
- Analytical mindset and strong communication skills, especially when it comes to explaining financial information to diverse constituencies
- Ability to think creatively and critically, and thrive in a dynamic and often ambiguous work environment
- Highly organized, collaborative, and self-motivated
- Residential real estate experience
- Fintech experience
What we offer:
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Flexible, unlimited vacation
- Regular team lunches
- Discounted fitness benefits
- Commuter benefits
- FSA + HSA
- Learning + development stipend
- Meaningful equity in the company