Sketchy is an online visual learning platform that helps students effortlessly learn and recall information through a blend of art, story, spaced repetition, and memory palace techniques. Sketchy was born when four medical students began creating sketched stories to distinguish and memorize similarly named viruses, as they realized that the same learning methodologies can be used across a variety of subjects.
Since its inception in 2013, Sketchy has become the premier learning destination for Medical School students around the world, currently serving over 30,000 active users (or a third of the total 89,000 medical students in the United States) and an alumni base of 100,000+ students. Sketchy is creating the most engaging and effective educational service for higher education students everywhere by combining visual storytelling with interactive learning tools that dramatically enhance recall and knowledge acquisition. Are you excited about rolling up your sleeves and implementing process improvements to help build out the foundation for the accounting team for a fast-growth start-up? Then you should check out this role. As we expand our product offering and tackle a broader swath of customers, we need to grow our team with smart, hungry, and curious people.
**Position Overview: **
Sketchy is looking for a Senior Accountant who will lead the accounting processes and scale the accounting functions. This role will focus on streamlining monthly financial reporting, preparing for the company’s first-time audit, and working closely with the VP, Finance, on installing appropriate financial controls.
Location: This role is open to remote employees in select US states: California, Hawaii, Texas, Washington.
- Compile consolidated month-end reporting packages, including income statement, balance sheet, and related analytical analysis by partnering with external bookkeepers
- Perform financial statement analytics to identify discrepancies and propose journal entries for correction prior to accounting period close
- Lead effort and partner with Content and Engineering teams to streamline the process for capitalization of the internally developed content and software
- Collaborate with the Administrative team to improve GL coding accuracy
- Assist in the integration of external platforms with accounting systems and implementation of modules within the accounting system
- Assist in performing technical accounting research to determine the appropriate treatment for a variety of transactions under US GAAP
- Prepare periodic reporting packages used by the leadership team to make decisions impacting the entire business.
- Assist in maintaining compliance with federal, state, and local tax requirements as needed
- Collaborate with HR on matters related to compensation costs including payroll processing and recording
- Respond to and assist employees with inquiries and questions in a timely manner
- BS/BA degree in Accounting/Finance or equivalent field
- MUST have a CPA
- Two plus years in a Senior Accountant role at a fast-growing SAAS company or public accounting firm using QuickBooks or a comparable accounting system
- Strong knowledge of GAAP
- Communicate clearly and concisely, verbally and in writing
- Superior analytical skills
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills
- Detail-oriented, eager to improve existing processes, and can effectively prioritize
- Knowledge of accounting theory, principles, and practices to include GAAP, SaaS accounting, prepaid expenses & accrued revenue, ASC 605: Revenue Recognition, ASC 985-605: Software Revenue Recognition, ASC 805: Business Combinations, and ASC 718: Stock-Based Compensation
- Comfort in the startup environment (i.e., sometimes chaotic and lacking structure) and able to create structure and foundational accounting processes**.**
What We Offer:
- Competitive compensation plan
- Innovative, high growth, and collaborative culture
- Generous PTO package with floating holidays
- Fun team events (Monthly and virtual for now)
- Great Benefits including Medical, dental, vision, 401k, and more
SketchyGroup LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants will receive consideration without discrimination on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, disability or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.