Reporting to the VP, Chief Accounting Officer, the Head of Global Tax will be responsible for leading the strategic direction of our tax function. You will establish the department’s vision and goals along with driving the transformation of our tax function to scale for growth, including international expansion.
This position is based in San Francisco, CA.
What You Get To Do Every Day
- Advise and drive transformation of our tax function to scale for growth, which includes people development, process and workpapers simplification and standardization, and effective use of data and technology
- Serve as the Company’s lead tax expert and advisor and work cross-functionally with business partners and other corporate functions such as legal, business units, supply chain on tax efficient supply chain structures implementation to ensure optimal tax outcomes
- Responsible for preparing and/or reviewing the income tax provisions for under ASC 740, tax reserves (FIN 48 & FAS 5) and related SEC filing disclosures
- Oversee all direct and indirect taxes, including income, sales and use, property, and consumption-based taxes. Including actively monitoring US, state, and tax legislative and judicial actions, analyze potential impacts/benefits, and implement mitigation or action plans for the Company
- Analyze tax ramifications of unusual contracts, M&A activities, strategic initiatives and significant transactions
- Perform technical review and research of complex tax return issues • Build collaborative relationships across the company
- Oversee the design and execution of tax controls in compliance with Sarbanes Oxley and Audits and constantly monitor for updates and changes
- Perform special projects as needed
What You Bring To The Role
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or Finance; MST/CPA preferred
- 10+ years of combined large scale public accounting and industry experience
- Demonstrated extensive federal and state corporate tax knowledge.
- Able to identify issues, analyze and interpret relevant tax laws when handling complex subject matters.
- Solid US GAAP accounting knowledge especially with the ASC 740, ASC 718, and ASC 842
- Excellent management and leadership skills, with the ability to leverage, coach and motivate talent to inspire action and achieve results
- Detailed oriented and strong analytical skills
- Strong project management, written and oral communication skills, excellent interpersonal skills, and a proven ability to work in a fast-paced and deadline driven environment.
- Ability to think strategically and act operationally; ability to manage ambiguity, risk, and changing direction of projects and strategies
- Strong leadership skills, team player, flexible, and ability to resolve conflicts
- Experience with Avalara and NetSuite, a plus
The RealReal is the world’s largest online marketplace for authenticated, resale luxury goods, with more than 20 million members. With a rigorous authentication process overseen by experts, The RealReal provides a safe and reliable platform for consumers to buy and sell their luxury items. We have hundreds of in-house gemologists, horologists and brand authenticators who inspect thousands of items each day. As a sustainable company, we give new life to pieces by thousands of brands across numerous categories—including women's and men's fashion, fine jewelry and watches, art and home—in support of the circular economy. We make selling effortless with free virtual appointments, in-home pickup, drop-off and direct shipping. We do all of the work for consignors, including authenticating, using AI and machine learning to determine optimal pricing, photographing and listing their items, as well as handling shipping and customer service. At our 13 retail locations, including our eight shoppable stores, customers can sell, meet with our experts and receive free valuations.
_The RealReal is committed to providing an equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, or Veteran status. We will consider qualified applicants for a position regardless of arrest or conviction records, consistent with legal requirements. _