The Trade Desk is changing the way global brands and their agencies advertise to audiences around the world. How? With a media-buying platform that helps brands deliver a more insightful and relevant ad experience for consumers — and sets a new standard for global reach, accuracy, and transparency.
So if you’re talented, driven, creative, and hungry to bring something entirely new and wildly ambitious into the world (and have some fun doing it), then we want to talk.
What we do:
Reporting to the Worldwide Revenue Controller, the Senior Manager, Revenue will be responsible for accurate accounting, reporting, and analysis of all aspects of revenue accounting. This person will be challenged to apply critical thinking and analytical skills along with project management experience to meet deadlines and evolving business needs.
What you’ll do:
The Trade Desk is seeking a Senior Manager, Revenue to learn The Trade Desk platform in terms of applying revenue recognition principles under ASC 606 and to ensure efficiency and accuracy of transactional processing from a technical accounting and operational perspective. The Senior Manager, Revenue must be able to identify problems and develop innovative solutions to further efforts towards continuous process improvements.
- Lead the timely completion of global month-end close process for revenue accounting, including reviewing journal entries, account reconciliations, monthly executive level management reporting, financial reporting and disclosure
- Own the revenue recognition process to ensure compliance with ASC 606 including oversight of revenue reserves, allowances for credit loss, deferred revenue schedules, and investigating fluctuations.
- Perform technical research on revenue accounting issues and provide accounting consultation advice under U.S. GAAP
- Oversee initiatives to enhance processes and further streamline/standardize/automate the operations of the team to facilitate more accurate financial records and timely reporting
- Assist with the development and implementation of new accounting policies. Maintain revenue accounting policies and memos.
- Design, implement, and document processes and internal controls over revenue transactions and reporting. Recommend changes to reports and processes to improve productivity and accuracy.
- Collaborate with organizations across the Company (Legal, Sales, Billing, etc.) to operationalize the Company’s revenue policy
- Collaborate with revenue Deal Desk team to identify and analyze issues related to revenue recognition and perform inquiries/investigations on unusual transactions
- Oversee Cost of Gross Revenue monthly accrual process including review of significant estimates from Inventory/Data Business Operations teams and reporting activity to third-party data vendors
- Collaborate with FP&A and other teams in the forecasting process and investigate variances
- Monitor risk and potential impact of changes in assumptions underlying key accounting estimates
- Support external auditors to ensure information is provided in a timely and accurate manner and revenue recognition interpretations are consistent with GAAP
- Support external SEC reporting and SOX processes, as needed
- Opportunities to participate in Finance and Accounting shared projects/optimization/automation efforts
- Lead and/or participate in special projects, as needed
- Be a change agent for implementing new insights and process improvements in an increasingly changing and complex environment.
- Mentor and revenue GL team and play a key role in the career development of the team
Who you are:
- A BA degree with an emphasis in Finance or Accounting; CPA or equivalent preferred
- Minimum 9+ years of experience, preferably including public accounting audit background
- Technology industry, public company experience, preferred
- Strong technical accounting background and knowledge of revenue accounting and financial principles
- Outstanding communication skills (written and verbal), including the ability to interact with all organization levels and team members in multiple locations and time zones
- Strong organizational skills and ability to work both independently and collaboratively, manage multiple projects, and prioritize workload to meet deadlines
- Ability to juggle multiple high priorities in a fast-paced environment and have a willingness to learn
- Experience mentoring and/or managing a team or team members
- Familiarity with revenue accounting/reporting systems preferred
The Trade Desk does not accept unsolicited resumes from search firm recruiters. Fees will not be paid in the event a candidate submitted by a recruiter without an agreement in place is hired; such resumes will be deemed the sole property of The Trade Desk. The Trade Desk is an equal opportunity employer. All aspects of employment will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.