The Trade Desk is changing the way global brands and their agencies advertise to audiences around the world. How? With a media-buying platform that helps brands deliver a more insightful and relevant ad experience for consumers — and sets a new standard for global reach, accuracy, and transparency.
So if you’re talented, driven, creative, and hungry to bring something entirely new and wildly ambitious into the world (and have some fun doing it), then we want to talk.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
Reporting to the Corporate Controller, the US Controller will be a key member of the Finance leadership team and will be responsible for The Trade Desk (“TTD”) USA accounting functions. The US Controller will lead an accounting department of 30+ professionals. The US Controller will direct and oversee the TTD USA accounting operations including accounts payable, credit & collections, payroll, and general ledger accounting team. The US Controller will be responsible for evaluating, establishing and maintaining key controls and SOX narratives associated with the TTD USA accounting function. The US Controller will also be responsible for developing a high-performing team that will scale to The Trade Desk’s growing needs. The US Controller will work collaboratively with finance leadership as well as cross-functionally with business stakeholders throughout the company.
WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING:
- Direct The Trade Desk USA accounting activities, which includes all accounting operations activities related to TTD USA general ledger accounting, accounts payable, credit and collections and payroll. Plan, control and direct TTD USA accounting activities in accordance with US GAAP, SEC regulations, Sarbanes-Oxley 404, statutory guidelines and internal financial policies and procedures
- Direct and oversee certain corporate cash management functions, the month end close for TTD USA, in conjunction with the corporate close
- Assess processes and design improved processes that are not just best practices “by the book” but also “best fit” for the company. Implement these practices for payroll, accounts payable, credit & collections and GL accounting. Work with counterparts in other geographical regions to develop TTD global standard methodologies.
- Manage specific projects and finance system implementations to create more efficiency and scalability
- Work with other finance leaders to establish strategic objectives and lead or assist in executing against those objectives
- Coordinate with internal and external technical accounting resources to develop and conclude on accounting positions and then implement and maintain the resulting policies and procedures to ensure consistent application of the resulting technical accounting conclusions
- Coordinate with external audit, including managing the relationships with the external auditors
WHAT YOU BRING TO THE TABLE:
- 7+ years of experience including both public accounting and industry experience. Public accounting experience should include Big 4 public accounting experience or public accounting experience that includes auditing public technology companies
- Industry experience includes oversight of general ledger accounting and at least one other operational area – such as accounts payable, payroll or credit & collections. Historical experience of designing and implementing operational improvements in one of these areas.
- Historical experience with improving days to close
- Experience with SOX, including working knowledge of the documentation and activities related to IPE
- Success in leading a team – proven ability to provide direct feedback and make tough calls, including staffing recommendations
- History of success in running projects to completion. Must demonstrate the ability to solve any problem presented to the TTD USA organization – including identifying and accurately assessing the problem or issue, communicate the problem or issue to upper management, develop a plan to execute the planned solution, determine the right resources that will be needed to execute the project, communicate with all relevant project participants about their role on the project and how they will contribute to the expected outcome, monitor the status and results of the project and make adjustments to the plan as necessary and, overall, be a good leader and mentor for personnel involved in these projects
- Excellent at assessing resource requirements and developing a plan to close the identified gaps in resourcing
- Experience balancing the need for proper internal controls over financial reporting (SOX) that can be audited with operational efficiencies
- Experience with being audited by a Big 4 accounting firm
- Outstanding leadership skills – ability to make good decisions, organize and prioritize, inspire and motivate others, create an environment of accountability, while also being able to effectively delegate tasks/responsibilities and empower employees. Must have a proven track record of developing employees – getting them ready to take on their next role. Excellent communication skills – including written and verbal communications, interpersonal, analytical, negotiating and problem-solving skills
- Ability to juggle multiple high priorities and aspire to learn from others and incorporate that knowledge into the plan to creating and maintaining the “right-fit” controllership environment
- Historical success in implementing systems and leading projects that interface with an ERP system
The Trade Desk does not accept unsolicited resumes from search firm recruiters. Fees will not be paid in the event a candidate submitted by a recruiter without an agreement in place is hired; such resumes will be deemed the sole property of The Trade Desk. The Trade Desk is an equal opportunity employer. All aspects of employment will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.